This is not really about me, but about the people I meet, the places I visit and the stories I want to share.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Optimist in Singapore

This photo was taken in Singapore with my high school classmate Mike and his flatmate Ongki last March. I had a great time with these two people, and two chili crabs, even if we had only a few hours to tour the city, and it was at midnight at that.

Anyway, that night I was wearing this yellow shirt with the conspicuously printed word “OPTIMIST”. Back then I was really optimistic that I’ll be getting this job as Philippine correspondent for an Asian television news network. By the way, that yellow shirt is my housemate’s hehehe.

Well, to set the record straight and since many of my colleagues have been perpetually asking me about my Singapore trip, I backed out immediately after getting accepted in that network. After much introspection, I thought I’d be happier here if I stay with my present company. Yes the job opportunity in an international network plus the salary is undoubtedly irresistible. Some of my friends even told me it was the most stupid decision I made in my life.

I must say the people there in Singapore were great, especially Trixia. Thanks to her for making my application a lot easier than I thought! I was really looking forward to working with you guys and getting ready for a new working environment. But I guess the job there was just overwhelming and maybe I’m not yet ready for the challenge.

Yes I decided to stay with my present company despite the low salary. (And you guys thought we earn a lot huh! Kala nyo lang yon.) I guess I still enjoy what I’m doing here especially now that I’m trying to put more effort in contributing documentaries for the program “The Correspondents”. Salamat nga pala sa mga corres people kasi sobrang understanding sila kahit hindi pa ako sanay magsulat sa long-format.

And for those who were persistently asking if I got a better offer from my present company – well I wish I did. Pero nope, I didn’t get a counter-offer. I think it’s not always the money that counts but what matters most is where one will be happy and satisfied. Not that I’m saying I won’t be happy working for that Singapore-based company. Who knows, I could have been a lot happier there. But for now I’d rather not think of the what-ifs. I guess somehow from time to time, we should follow what our hearts dictate us to do. Parang sa lovelife hehehe.

And bottomline is, whatever we do, whatever we decide on, we should always act like an eternal OPTIMIST. Posted by Picasa

17 Comments:

Blogger Promdi said...

let's just say we trust your sixth sense about staying. pero (*)&@^%@ bwakang ina, baket???? joke.

4:42 PM

 
Blogger Adrian Ayalin said...

hi rey, i think abs is planning to put up a news bureau there in australia. pero im not applying e hehehe. maybe kung mapunta ako jan wil let you know hehehe.

nwys, hoy jong, painumin mo na lang ako para kwento ko kung bakit hehehe.

8:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess you are such a lucky fool to be in the position of being able to afford to listen your heart. A lot of Filipinos, even if it breaks their hearts to leave home and be apart with their loved ones, everytime they are reminded by "matter of life-and-death" needs of their families, will really grab such kind of opportunities.

The fact that you can afford to listen to your heart means that you are still blessed.

Is the Asian TV News Network training financial reporters? Maybe there's a way for you to find out that. Haha.

Too bad, I thought i'll see another Timothy Go, Rico Hizon, Twink Macaraeg, Pedrosa, Maria Ressa and Charie Villa in the making. But hey, the good thing about is that, you remain to be more accessible to people like us. :D

2:31 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

And bottomline is, whatever we do, whatever we decide on, we should always act like an eternal OPTIMIST


here, here :) tsss.xD astiiiiig ka talaga kuya. :)

6:54 AM

 
Blogger Suyin said...

shet sayang. ahaha! pero syemps kung saan ka masaya, di ba?
;)

1:06 PM

 
Blogger lateralus said...

ei. just surfed on.

my girlfriend's also in singapore right now for an elective and after experiencing what is was like for a mere 4 weeks, she's already convinced that she won't be working there after residency. haha.

8:07 PM

 
Blogger nina said...

hey adrian,

earl is right, i have three words for you -- "lucky blessed fool!"

i love the simplicity of this blog but therein lies the heart.

see you in the office! :)

8:22 PM

 
Blogger Suyin said...

uy, napanood ko blood bank ni pam miras. nadinig ko boses mo. ehehe. ;)

10:39 AM

 
Blogger Adrian Ayalin said...

nyek, baka kay meyor sanchez? nag-vo ako sa "lababo". ke pam hindi, namalikmata ka siguro hehehe.

7:30 PM

 
Blogger Suyin said...

ay oo nga, sori, nagkamali ako ng sulat. hehe. iisang collection lang kasi pinaggalingan nun. ;)

11:27 AM

 
Blogger The Guy in Red Sneakers said...

yes. love your stories.

i especially liked the one you did on the Mangyans of Mindoro.

My sister taught in Tugdaan, you see. and hometown ko naman ang Calapan.

i drive her there, since she's so dedicated, uwian siya araw-araw.

yes, special, that story you guys made.

anyways.

7:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ang tagal naman gumawa ng new blog entry ni idol :D

4:02 AM

 
Blogger thinkerthird said...

Salary is a big dissatisfier. There are a lot more important things other than money. A positive working environment should be considered first before anything else. But I'm not saying that we could just sacrifice our dream of having a prosperous life. Human as we are, we need money of course but there are more important things to consider other than that.

8:53 AM

 
Blogger drei said...

hey adrian, it's great reading the opinion of journalists, who actually know the real news, than read comments of those plain columnists. di na kasi ako nag eenjoy ngayon basahin si de quiros. :)

it's just weird that i've met you but never saw you on TV pa. haha!

2:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Adrian! I am a third year student from Miriam College. I would like to know if I can interview you for my Journalism class. One of the requirements is a personality profile of a journalist. If you are available, kindly email me at nadelyntorres_21@yahoo.com. I really hope you could give me your time. It would be a great help. Thank you! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

6:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Adrian! I am a third year student from Miriam College. I would like to know if I can interview you for my Journalism class. One of the requirements is a personality profile of a journalist. If you are available, kindly email me at nadelyntorres_21@yahoo.com. I really hope you could give me your time. It would be a great help. Thank you! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

6:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you sir!... this is an old posting.. sorry ngayon ko lang napuntahan blog mo.. fortunately or unfortunately, I will be an OFW soon.. after working in a multi-national firm dito sa Pinas.. I'm off to Dubai this month.. to join another multi-national financial firm.. sometimes it really takes great effort and preseverance to get out of our comfort zones ... in order to find more challenges in life.. i guess..

1:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?