This is not really about me, but about the people I meet, the places I visit and the stories I want to share.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Camp Bagong Diwa

 


Former Comelec Commissioner Virgilio Garcillano voluntarily locked himself up inside a facility at Camp Bagong Diwa in Bicutan, Taguig since he arrived there Sunday. The Philippine National Police’s Police Security and Protection Office made it clear that they are not giving the man any “special treatment.”

But wait, even if they do treat him like a VIP, what’s wrong with that? I’m no fan of Garcillano nor does he have my sympathies. But we have to keep an open mind and remember that Garcillano is not a suspect in any criminal case, nor is he a convicted criminal.

Yes the government may be spending thousands of pesos for Garcillano’s security. But as long as the PNP does not overshoot its budget, I think it’s alright for them to spend some money on Garcillano. After all, minority congressmen were the ones who invited Garcillano to Congress.

My point is - Garcillano is not Erap. Erap does not deserve the VIP treatment he is getting, resthouse arrest and all. Erap has pending cases at the Sandiganbayan while Garci is only a resource person on Wednesday’s congressional inquiry on the Hello Garci controversy.

But that is for now. Who knows, Garcillano may end up just like Erap – behind bars. But as of the moment, let the man get VIP treatment if the PNP is willing to give him just that. I think, simple as it may appear, we can still show Garci that justice still works in this country. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?